CDL Eligibility for Veterans

February 17, 2013 Uncategorized

Veterans come back from serving their country with honor. However, where do they go from there? What’s the next move career-wise? For some, the move is toward a career in trucking. In order to pursue this exciting career, veterans have to obtain a CDL license first. Thanks to the GI Bill, veterans can have their CDL training covered, but what is the eligibility for this?

About the GI Bill 

The GI Bill, also known as the Servicemen’s Readjustment Act, offers a wide range of benefits to veterans that return from active duty. The Post 9/11 GI Bill makes it so anyone who served at least 90 days of active duty or who received an honorable discharge after 30 days can receive full benefits. These benefits make it easier for veterans to obtain training in a wide variety of careers.

CDL Eligibility: Starting a Career in Truck Driving

If you are a veteran with an honorable discharge, you should be able to obtain funding through the GI Bill. Specifically, truck driving training is covered under the bill completely. You should be able to get your training costs, the CDL licensing fee, and even housing allowances covered by the GI Bill. You may even be able to get the rural benefit payment.

Now, it’s important to select a truck driving school that is accredited for GI Bill funding. Otherwise, you may wind up having to pay the fees yourself.

Instead of navigating these murky waters on your own, why not check out We can help you find a school in your area that meets CDL eligibility requirements so you can get all the GI Bill funding you deserve as a veteran. Give us a call at 1-800-TRUCKER now to start your new career today.

Bookmark and Share